I am working on a project that involves the use of terminals in a 2000 student
secondary school.  The core of our system includes a machine which functions as a
bootp server and provides ldap services.  There are several application servers, one
of which handles an xdm chooser broadcast.  Each of these machines is debian release
2.4.18.  Physically, the school network is supported by a gigabit backbone which
connects several communication closets which are populated with BayStack 450F
switches.  Our gateway is a Cisco router (2700, if I remember correctly) which also
provides dhcp service to our Windows and Mac stations.  Our terminals are primarily
486-33's with 16mb and 3com isa nic's.

Our problem is that after a very prompt bootp response and a rapid X instantiation,
everything really bogs down.  It will often take more than 5 minutes for the chooser
to appear and another 5 minutes to obtain a login window when a server is selected.
The login process is equally slow.  Once loaded, at least with ice or blackbox, the
windows environment seems to function normally however a shell will be slow to bring
up a prompt and, in a browser, while static pages are no problem, even a relatively
low bandwidth page such as 'www.nytimes.com' causes extreme latency.  I cannot find
any hint of conflicts or timeouts in the log files and, while I have very limited
experience in fiddling with networks, flood pings from one device to the next shows no
packet loss. (Interestingly, a flood ping from any of our servers to the gateway gives
10% packet loss however I don't believe that our traffic should be touching the
gateway.)

If anyone has any suggestions regarding how I might tackle this problem, I would
greatly appreciate your response as I am running out of ideas.

Thanks in advance,

Terry