Hi,

I'm considering different solutions on a network thats basicly 10 mb w/
P166 pc's. There are a total of 20 machines on the network but the
changeover process will start slowly w/ 3 - 5 machines going over. The
network is hetrogenous w/ both macs & nt clients from before.

I therefore have a few questions:

1. Running kdm/gdm locally.
Why would I whant this? Would this reduce or increase network load.
Also, if I run kdm localy, then authentication would happen localy
right? So I would have to set up pam-ldap or pamkrb5 to run from the
local machine, right? Also, the filesystem the client will see is the
local one?

2. I think I've seen this question before, but here goes: Is there a way
to place global icons on the userers desktops (either gdm or kdm) and
still letting the user decide what other items he/she wants on the
desktop?

3. For thos who's got experience w/ mosix. How does mosix compare to
using local apps to share out network load and use the local cpu power
of the clients?

4. If root is mounted rw, is it still possible to mount directories on
top of root? (i.e. /home /shared etc?)

I'm sorry for this long list.

Tarjei