> >don't know if that will help for your setup though, as bandwidth
> >seems to be the bottleneck
>
> Why not use VNC to the application server?  Requires much less bandwidth
> than X.

It's very dependent on the application. What do you want to run?

Also, complex interactive apps are more dependent on latency than
bandwidth. It's not practical to run an application which has much
interaction in our Palo Alto office and display on my X server in Oxford
(England); paging through a PDF doc by running xpdf in this way is no
worse than copying the file and running xpdf locally, but anything more
complicated is unuseable. 60 miles will be lower latency than
transatlantic - but are you relying on an ISP (or, worse, ISPs) to
provide low latency? Sometimes routes can be much longer than you
expect, and they can vary wildly. According to www.visualroute.co.uk,
Verio and UUNET just conspired to route between 2 London hosts via New
York and New Jersey.

Consider running the applications on the client but using a shared file
system designed to be tolerant of high latency (or even loss of the
link), such as Coda, or use LTSP clients to local servers using a common
Coda filesystem at each site.