> I am using X3 on the clients and X4 on the server
> Debian woody
> ltsp v3
> Server=Compaq 1.4Ghz P4/256MB/100mbit Intel e100
> Client=66Mhz 486/#9GXe video 2MB ram/S3 server/10mbit SMC
> Network is unloaded/single client running at this time.

Is that 2mb of ram in the client??? Or 2 mb of video ram?

2mb is so far from adequate you can turn on swapping but your still asking a
lot from so little. Try to get at least 8 mg (I would shoot for 32)

You still have to have enough resources to run the X end of things and I
don't think your problem(s) are even network related.

More ram!

Matt