> From: "Charles Marcus" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 >
> OK, I've been through the older docs (forgot they were all still up on the
> downloads page), and I tried changing the lts.conf file for the individual
> workstations, but the changes are not doing anything.  I've also tried
> changing both XF86Config-4 files (XF86Config-4 is the one referenced in
> lts.conf) - there is one in /etc/X11 and one in /tftpboot/lts/ltsroot/etc
> (which one is used??), but the changes are not affecting anything - hitting
> ctrl-alt-+ (or ctrl-alt--) doesn't do anything - and yes I did restart the
> X-server every time.

Restarting the X-server on the workstation is not enough.  You must
reboot the workstation entirely so that the lts.conf file is read again
and the startup scripts prepare the configuration files correctly and
lauch the correct X server.

If you meant restarting the X-server on the LTSP server, then that is
irrelevant.

Someone else already pointed out that the files affecting the
workstation are located under /tftpboot/lts/ltsroot/etc.

> I know that XFree 4 isn't supposed to be as complicated as 3, but does it
> still require all of those modeline entries?  I found an older XF86Config file
> (no -4 on it), that had all of the modelines in it, but there are _none_ in
> either of the XF86Config-4 files.

It doesn't matter so much what is sitting in the files in
/tftpboot/lts/ltsroot/etc as what the startup scripts *do* with them.
Look at /tftpboot/lts/ltsroot/etc/rc.setupx and
/tftpboot/lts/ltsroot/etc/rc.local.  These are where the magic happens.
  These are the scripts that read your lts.conf file specifications and
translate them into configuration files on the workstation (in RAM!).
Look to rc.setupx for the XFree86 setup parameters and how it handles
the options pertaining to resolution.  Pay special attention to quoting.

Note that unless you are specifying the XF86Config file to use
explicitly through the lts.conf option XF86CONFIG_FILE, then any file
you put in /tftpboot/lts/ltsroot/etc will just be ignored and a default
one will be built according to the other lts.conf options and defaults.

Also, an important part of debugging the problem will be seeing the
resulting XF86Config* files created on the workstation in the RAM-only
/tmp filesystem.  To do this, you must be sitting at the workstation and
hit (Ctrl-)Alt-F1 to get to the console.  Then you can do a 'cat
/tmp/XF86Config | less' to read the file.  Make sure it is handling your
lts.conf options correctly.

Another possibility for the workstations not obeying
workstation-specific lts.conf entries is that the workstations do not
know their own name, so they cannot identify their section of the
lts.conf file.  To fix this you need to add the 'use-host-decl-names
on;' option in the appropriate context in dhcpd.conf (and restart dhcpd).

Jason