I would like to put my 2 cents worth in with regard to having another option
to use instead of NIS authorisation.

We are using a template version of 2.07 here, for workstations to run most
applications locally ( except OpenOffice, which use rsh ). This is using
RedHat 7.3 as the base system and I compiled a recent kernel for the
clients, so they may use the newer libraries from RH7.3.  Our client
workstations are all 'new' machines, with heaps of RAM and probably goes
against the aim of LTSP, that allows older machines to still be productive.
Window manager is either KDE3, for 'power users' or WindowMaker for the
others.  KDE is a noisy beast on the network, and I have been moving most of
the workstations back to lightweight wmaker.

The main aim for using LTSP, is to reduce workstation maintenance/ install,
using diskless boxes.

Our experience with NIS, is that it is a real pain, when users are created
or passwords are changed ( especially if shadow passwords are enabled ).
Also we would like to centralise authorisation for a number of applications,
ie. email, squid proxy,  workstation log on, inhouse applications, etc  so
when a password is changed, it doesn't need to be updated in more than one
spot.

A quick look at LDAP, looks like it is very flexiable, ie. being able to add
fields to data for a number of uses. Also there is seems to LDAP modules
available for most of the common packages.

We have a number of LTSP servers at various locations and if this LDAP data
is able to be mirrored out to remote sites, that would be cool.

If I can help in any way, to get this feature working in LTSP ( with local
app support ), please let me know.

Regards

Doug Herbert.