On Tuesday 11 June 2002 02:42, vcare wrote:

Exiting a hard crash gracefully ~ micro$oft windows cant touch this.
From: Brent Hasty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 To: Holub <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 22:12:53 -0400

remember you always have options, please print and keep handy.  This is a jem
of a tip.  (use konqueror to open the attached file), or use the link and get
it from the source

http://www.mandrakeuser.org/mub/viewtopic.php?topic=9704&forum=8&2

When stuck in a "freeze", your computer will not respond to commands anymore
and input devices like keyboard and mouse seem to be blocked. This is a worst
case scenario and could mean that you have a very severe error in either your
configuration, your software or your hardware. Here we will show you to deal
with this annoying situation.

In the case of a system freeze, your top priority should be trying to
shutdown your system properly. Let's assume you are under X, if so, try these
steps consecutively:
 *
 Try to kill the X server by pressing ALT+CTRL+BACKSPACE simultaneously.
*
 Try to switch to another console with ALT+CTRL+F2. If you succeed, login as
root and issue the command: kill -15 $(pidof X) or the command kill -9
$(pidof X), if the first command shows no effect. (Check with top to see if X
is still running).
*
 If you are part of a local network, try to ssh into your machine from
another box. It is advisable to ssh into the remote machine as an
unprivileged user and then use su to become root.
*
 If the system does not respond to any of these steps, you have to go through
the "SysRq" ("System Request") sequence. The "SysRq" sequence involves
pressing three keys at once, the left ALT key, the SysRq key (labeled
PrintScreen on older keyboards) and a letter key.
 *
 Left ALT+SysRq+r puts the keyboard in "raw" mode. Now try the pressing
ALT+CTRL+BACKSPACE again, to kill the X. If that does not work, carry on.
*
 Left ALT+SysRq+s attempts to write all unsaved data to disk ("sync" the
disk).
*
 Left ALT+SysRq+e sends a termination signal to all processes, except for
init.
*
 Left ALT+SysRq+i sends a kill signal to all processes, except for init.
*
 Left ALT+SysRq+u attempts to remount all mounted filesystems read-only. This
removes the "dirty flag" and will avoid a file system check upon reboot.
*
 Left ALT+SysRq+b reboots the system. You might just as well press the
"reset" button on your machine.

 [Note]
 Remember that this is a sequence, i.e. you have to press one combination
after the other in the right order: Raw, Sync, tErm, kIll, Umount, reBoot[1].
You will find more on this feature in /usr/src/linux/Documentation/sysrq.txt.
 *
 If none of the above helps, cross fingers and press the "reset" switch on
your machine. If you are lucky, GNU/Linux will just run a disk check upon
reboot.
By all means, try to find out what causes these lockups because they can do
severe damage to the file system. You might also want to consider using
ReiserFS, a journaling file system included in Mandrake Linux since 7.0,
which handles such failures more gracefully. However, replacing ext2fs with
ReiserFS requires reformatting your partitions.
Notes
[1]

Mnemonic phrase: "Raising Skinny Elephants Is Utterly Boring"
--
"The place of the material world in the universe is that of an exquisitely
beautiful precipitate or varied cloud-work in the universal Ęther, determined

Brent Hasty

> Hello,
> I am trying to load Star-office 5.2 on
> IBM Server with RedHat 7.1 ,
> Hardware 18.8 SCSI-HDD .
>
> While loading Star-office5.2 it Hangs the Server , i have to Hard boot
> the server.
> I have LTSP loaded .
> Rest all applications works perfect.
>
> Urgent
>
> Regards
>
> dinesh

"The place of the material world in the universe is that of an exquisitely
beautiful precipitate or varied cloud-work in the universal Ęther, determined
by a geometrical necessity...." ~ Professor John G. Macvicar1870 ~

Brent Hasty
http://www.Hasty-Solutions.com
Title: MUO - View Topic
MU

Mandrake User

 Tutorials, Tips & Tricks by and for Mandrake Linux users Discussion

MUO Board

[Search Posts
[Search]  [Register]  [Edit Profile]  [Preferences] [Posts By Date]  [Top 10]  [Private Messages]  [FAQ]  [Logout]

Author Don't SCREW your computer-sysreq sequences for an easy letdown
mwilliams15
senior user

Joined: Jan 24, 2002
I've read references to this and finally found a pointer to where it is. Well, now it's here for anyone to get to quickly(ok, so it's located in your own docs section on your own hard drive(if you installed docs)-just one more reason to RTFM). Maybe this will help some other lazy slob out, too...

Quote:

Mandrake Linux 8.2: Reference Manual
Prev Chapter 15. Troubleshooting Next
15.9. Recovering From a System Freeze

[...]

_________________
Registered user #265762

Did you [Search Posts] first?

Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and vigor.
In the end gravity always wins, no matter how hard you try

Glitz
user

Joined: Dec 11, 2001
From: The Great White North
Ya, this is in the LM8.1 manuals too. Mind you it's not in an obvious place so you tend to have to stumble across it by accident. Note to Mandrake: PUT THIS SECTION ON THE INSIDE COVER OF THE MANUAL.

I also find that it is useful to do another ALT-SYSRQ-s right after the ALT-SYSRQ-i because sometimes the terminated programs write information back to the hard drive and this new information must be flushed to the disk. In particular, the nvidia drivers tend to come back to life after ALT-SYSRQ-e.

Glitz.

fuzzylizard
user

Joined: Jan 04, 2002
From: Toronto, Canada
Hopefully I will never need to use the info you provided, but thanks though.

I actually liked it so much I copied it over to my website so I wouldn't forget it.

   Select a Forum   /etc - the trouble boards ---------------- Installation Hardware Desktop Networking Other   /share - information exchange ---------------- The Repository Links Linux Central   /tmp - wild life ---------------- talktalk test test
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic