Hi Kerry,
are you sure that you're using the right mousedriver? Sounds to me like the
wrong one :).
Under RH you can use mousconfig in the consol to configure the mouse. If you
don't get the right one through auto-probing, try one after the other. There
are lots of different drivers for serial mice for example which are really
used in real life.

regards,

Tom