The older Trident cards require an X-server that comes with XFree86 3.x. I
believe LTSP 3.0 defaults to XFree86 4.x. Make sure you have XFree86 v3.x
on your server, use it and the default SVGA server to get X up and running,
then fine tune it.

Truthfully, the quickest way to get your X-server running is to use a more
recent pci card -- even a year or two more recent than the Trident.

I have wasted a lot of time on older isa components. X also looks better on
a good standard pci card.

Tom

At 10:59 PM 07/04/2002 -0400, Glenn Arnold wrote:
>I have been trying to get the Trident tvga 8900c/d isa card to work in an
old 486 machine with LTSP 3.0.  I have had no success with configuring isa
cards period.  I can connect to the LTSP 3.0 running runlevel 3 to get to
the Bash prompt, but can not run X windows.  Here is my ltsp.conf

>#
># Config file for the Linux Terminal Server Project (www.ltsp.org)
>#
>
>[Default]
>        SERVER             = 192.168.0.10
>        XSERVER            = auto
>       X_MOUSE_PROTOCOL   = "PS/2"
>       X_MOUSE_DEVICE     = "/dev/psaux"
>       X_MOUSE_RESOLUTION = 400
>       X_MOUSE_BUTTONS    = 3
>       USE_XFS            = N
>       LOCAL_APPS         = N
>        RUNLEVEL           = 5
>
>#--------------------------------------------------------------------------
----
>#
># Example of specifying X settings for a workstation
>#
>[ws001]
>        XSERVER            = auto
>        LOCAL_APPS         = N
>        USE_NFS_SWAP       = N
>        SWAPFILE_SIZE      = 48m
>        RUNLEVEL           = 5
>
>[ws002]
>        XSERVER            = XF86_SVGA
>       X_VIDE0RAM         = 1024
>       X_DEVICE_OPTION_01 = Chipset    "TVGA8900CL/D"
>        X_DEVICE_OPTION_02 = Clocks     25.31 28.32 45.37 36.16 57.88
65.79 50.64 40.38
>       X_DEVICE_OPTION_03 = Clocks     88.48 98.97 119.51 109.30 72.65 80.83 76.00
>       X_COLOR_DEPTH      = 8
>       X_MODE_0           = 640x480
>       LOCAL_APPS         = N
>        USE_NFS_SWAP       = N
>        SWAPFILE_SIZE      = 64m
>        RUNLEVEL           = 5
>
>I am right now just trying to get it to come up in X-windows, so that is
why I set resolution to 640x480.  If some one has a config file for this
that would be great!  If no one does then what steps do I need to configure
X to work with this card in LTSP.  I am new to Linux, so I need pointed to
the right documentation.  I have search this discussion list for
information and what you see in lts.conf file above is what I extracted
from the list.  I guess basicly what I would like to know is what are the
steps to config an ISA Video card?  I wish the ISA cards would work as well
as the PCI Video card. ;-)