Sorry,
         I discovered what the problem was.  In rom-o-matic, I had specified
REQUIRE_VCI_ETHERBOOT.  I took this out, obtained the rom and now it works.
The thing is, I am using my bosses win2000 network and he uses dhcp for his
windows clients.  I read the document at:

http://www.ltsp.org/documentation/pxe.howto.html

and it states that:

you first set the option: REQUIRE_VCI_ETHERBOOT when you make your
  ".lzpxe" image (or Configure it at rom-o-matic.net).  This tells
  Etherboot to ignore any reply that doesn't contain the VCI (vendor class
  identifier) "Etherboot".  Then you add the line:

      option vendor-encapsulated-options
3c:09:45:74:68:65:72:62:6f:6f:74:ff;

    to your "host" entry.  This says "send the VCI 'Etherboot' back to the
  requesting client".  So now you can be pretty sure your client will be
  talking to the right DHCP server.

What is the number following vendor-encapsulated-options?  Some fancy
address?

TIA

Tony