Well I had my system up and running fine for the last week. I was having
a problem with my Win4lin program not being able to use any TCPIP
services. I found out that I had to have ip_forwarding on. Since I
didn't know how to do that off the top of my head I figured I'd setup
the Internet connection sharing under Mandrake 8.2. Well that worked for
my Win4lin problem, however it proceeded to screw up my whole LTSP setup
and changed my IP address to 192.168.0.1, installed and ran iptables,
overwrote my current working dhcpd.conf file. My two workstations
stopped working of course. I figured it would just enable ip_forward and
leave everything else alone since the other services were running
already.

Anyway, now to the grey screen dilemma. I had kept copies of all the
config files for my LTSP setup, so I changed my IP back, shutdown
iptables and dhcpd, copied all the good config files back, restarted
dhcpd and booted the workstations. That's where I now get the grey
screen with the X cursor and nothing past that. Not only that but when
it gets to that point it kicks my server machine out of KDE and back to
the command prompt. This happens no matter if I have the client machines
boot to runlevel=5 or if I have them go runlevel=3 and run sh
/tmp/start_ws. I remember people saying that most likely kdm wasn't
running, but it is. When going into KDE on the server before any clients
try to boot, I go into KDE System Guard and it lists kdm as running
already. What else can be the problem?  I've even tried reinstalling
LTSP and I get the same results. I really don't want to have to
reinstall the whole machine.

Thanks

Ken Anderson