I have made a little progress, but using 'buildk', I get as far as

mke2fs -F -q -m 0 -N 160 initrd.ltsp 1600
mke2fs 1.27 (8-Mar-2002)
'Copying the root tree
./buildk: cd: root: no such file or directory

ERROR! Copy of root tree to the new filesystem failed!

   then a srting of errors
cpio: cannot make directory /mnt/initrd/./scripts : no space left on device
cpio: /mnt/initrd/./scripts/filename: no such file or directory

Is this trying to build an extra filesystem on disk ?
Does it matter where I run buildk from ?
Or some other cause ?.

Shane