Thanks for the reply, everything works now, ip_forwarding wasn't enabled on server1
and server2, that was the only problem :)

Maria
-----Ursprungligt meddelande-----
Från: Jan Humme [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Skickat: den 16 augusti 2002 12:49
Till: Maria Backlund; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Ämne: Re: [Ltsp-discuss] Unable to route mount request?

On Friday 16 August 2002 11:12, Maria Backlund wrote:
> Hi there!
>
> We've built a network using RedHat 7.2 combinded with LTSP. We've
> tried two different structures but only one of them works and we
> wonder why. The first, working structure is:
>
> 192.168.2.2 (client1)
>
> 192.168.2.1 / 192.168.1.10 (server1)
>
> 192.168.1.20 / 192.168.0.20 (gateway)
>
> Hub - 192.168.0.10 (server2)
>
> 192.168.0.11 (client2)
>
> Client2 boots and loads the kernel from server2 and then sends out a
> mountrequest and mounts from server1. Everything works fine!
>
> We would like to have this structure though, and have tried it:
>
> 192.168.2.2 (client1)
>
> 192.168.2.1 / 192.168.1.10 (server1)
>
> 192.168.1.20 / 192.168.0.20 (gateway)
>
> 192.168.0.10 / 192.168.3.1 (server2)
>
> 192.168.3.2 (client2)
>
> Client2 boots and loads the kernel from server2 and then sends the
> mountrequest. This however, only reaches one of the interfaces on
> server2 (192.168.3.1) and doesn't go any further. Thus, client2 is
> unable to mount and remains waiting. At first we thought we had a
> routing problem but if we let client2 mount from server2 then client2
> can both ping and run telnet from server1. Is routing of mount
> requests different from routing of other packages? It seems strange
> that server2 ( a linux terminal server) don't seem to route it but
> that our freeBSD-gateway does in the first structure. Can anyone give
> us a hint or some ideas/explanations?

Looks like a configuration problem or a firewall problem on server2. In the
first configuration, server2 has no way to intercept any traffic, whereas in
the second configuration it does. In fact, traffic needs to be explicitely
forwarded in configuration 2.

Some questions, thoughts:
=> Suppose server2 has two NICs?
=> Looks like packet forwarding on server2 is configured on ("echo 1
>/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward) ?
=> Is there a firewall running on server2 (ipchains / iptables) and could it
be that the mount request is choked at server2 somehow?
=> What do you get when you run "tcpdump -n" on server2? You see the mount
request come in, is it being forwarded or not?

JH.