> Just remember that GIMP has problems on machines running ATI rage grapics
> cards. My HP server has one and it killed it!

The Rage Pro is a very common chip, many on-board graphics use it. I have a
couple going, the GIMP doesn't have any issues with it, I don't think it even
knows or cares what it's running on.

Here's how X detects it.
(--) ATI(0): ATI 3D Rage Pro graphics controller detected.
(--) ATI(0): Chip type 4750 "GP", version 4, foundry UMC, class 0, revision 0x01.
(--) ATI(0): PCI bus interface detected;  block I/O base is 0xD800.
(--) ATI(0): ATI Mach64 adapter detected.

-bhaskar