Has anyone tried to build their own kernel without
using initrd as suggested by the documentation in
section 7.2.3.2? I am curious what kernels people
have confirmed to work. I have tried 2.4.18 but I
have problems with NFS-root. I found 2.4.19 fixes
the NFS-root problem but breaks the ramdisk used for
the RW /tmp filesystem.

My temporary work-around is to nfs mount another
filesystem read/write for /tmp and use 2.4.19, but
I'd rather use an older 2.4 kernel if there is one
known to have both a working NFS-root (/dev) and a
working ramdisk.

Besides working around some oddball ethernet cards,
I would like to not require the DHCP/TFTP server.
I have been able to build a boot floppy with SYSLINUX
that has the kernel and IP configuration so all I
need is the NFS server somewhere on the network.

Thanks for any suggestions!
Peter