> > Has anyone tried to build their own kernel without
> > using initrd as suggested by the documentation in
> > section 7.2.3.2? I am curious what kernels people
> > have confirmed to work. I have tried 2.4.18 but I
> > have problems with NFS-root. I found 2.4.19 fixes
> > the NFS-root problem but breaks the ramdisk used
> > for the RW /tmp filesystem.
>
> I've done it sucessfully, but why bother.
> Hack the initrd-kit to do anything-you-want.
> I've used it for a bootable-cd install, and for an
> embedded flash system.
>
> If you've used syslinux for your system, you are
> 90% of the way there with the initrd kit.

Well, that seemed like a reasonable suggestion so I
tried it and had the same problem with mounting the
ramdisk on /tmp with and without initrd. So that made
me take a closer look and I found it was mounting the
/dev/ram1, but not as an ext2 filesystem. It turns out
that the /opt/ltsp/i386/etc/rc.local (line 65) does
not pass the '-t ext2' flag to tell mount what type of
filesystem to use, so when I added that it finally
worked. I think it is because I included the kernel
config option CONFIG_BINFMT_MISC=Y and in the LTSP
prebuilt kernel it is configured as a loadable module.

Adding the '-t ext2' would be a simple improvement
for the 3.1 release! :)

 BEFORE: /bin/mount -n /dev/ram1 /tmp
 AFTER:  /bin/mount -t ext2 -n /dev/ram1 /tmp

Regards,
Peter