On Wed, 2 Oct 2002, Adrian Snyman wrote:
> But I have now got a protocol analyser on our network in an attempt to get
> some sort of figures/comparison going - but what to measure ??
> How does X measure up to Citrix/RDP/VNC ??

Ideally, you'd come up with an example of the type of job the workstation
will be doing in real life. For example, send some emails, write a
document etc.

Get a citrix client (and server!) and an ltsp client with appropiate
applications installed to do the required job.

Measure the network traffic (by whatever means you have) between the
client and it's respective server during this process:

Power on client
Run applications
Logout

You can then work out an average bandwith use over the whole session as
well as peak usage.
Depending on the situation, you may not power on/off each time a client is
used.
Also, for ltsp, running local applications will presumably make some kind
of difference.

It'd be very interested in any comparisons, whatever the applications used
are. I'll also see if I can come up with some numbers on machines here.

--
Phil Davey
Computer Officer