*** Use ICEwm as your Window Manager. Not as 'pretty' as gnome/kde but
only consumes about 2Megs of ram to run. Also menu configuration is a
snap. Assuming a default install of ice you simply modify the
"menu/preferences/toolbar" files in /usr/local/lib/X11/icewm and ALL your
ltsp clients get the change to the menu *instantly* (no need for them to
logout then log back in). ICE will also scan the owner/group permissions
of a file and if the user does not have sufficient rights to run a program
then ICE will not make that option available to that user.