> Q1, It seems there is some installation work required whilst logged on as
> each user. If you have over 1200 users this looks just a bit daunting even
> impractical, is there a better way?

Yes.
> Q2, The "user" install, installs to /home/staroffice. In a school
> environment is there anything that can be done to prevent the little
> angels from deleting the install. If they can, they will!

Yes - and it's the same answer in both cases.

Here's what we did:

Do the network install and then manually install open office for a single 'golden
user',
set the configuration as you want everyone to have it.

Then when an ordinary runs open office, they don't actually run open office, but
instead, they run a script which copies the config files from the golden user into
the ordinary user's directory and edits them where necessary to change any references
from the golden user's directory path. Finally the script runs open office (in fact we
have multiple scripts to start each subcomponent - e.g. swriter,sdraw etc.

The system we are developing also runs a directory full of scripts at login time,
Once we've refined out system we will release it all hopefully later this year under
the GPL.

However, here are our scripts as they stand to get you going. If anyone has
improvements
to make, please chip in as I'm no shell scripter :) Note that I've had to hack these
files
about a bit to remove 'noise', so I may have broken something!. There's probably a
files
permission issue on the files in the golden users home directory - the ordinary user
need
to be able to copy them and then chown them - I can't get at the server at the moment
check. You may need to tweak certain things if there are any differences between OOo
and
Star Office.

We store all our startup scripts under /opt/ltsp/profiles, so you'll see references to
those paths in the script.

This is the script which starts swriter - we store it as
/opt/ltsp/profiles/apps/openoffice/swriter
----------------
#!/bin/bash
source /opt/ltsp/profiles/apps/openoffice/openoffice
exec "/opt/openoffice/program/swriter" $*;
----------------

It in turn refers to a script called
/opt/ltsp/profiles/apps/openoffice/openoffice
which looks like this:

----------------
#!/bin/bash
source /opt/ltsp/profiles/functions
MasterUser

if [ "$?" == "0" ]; then
:
 #copy all files from OpenOffice directory
 #copy .user60.rdb and .sversionrc from golden home directory
 #chown eveything to current user

 #hack .sversionrc replacing golden with currentuser

 cp -fr "$SOURCE/.OpenOffice" "$DEST"
 chown -R "$USER" "$DEST/.OpenOffice"
 cp -fr "$SOURCE/.user60.rdb" "$DEST"
 chown "$USER" "$DEST/.user60.rdb"

 ReplaceAndChown ".sversionrc"
 ReplaceAndChown ".OpenOffice/user/config/registry/instance/org/openoffice/Setup.xml"
 ReplaceAndChown
".OpenOffice/user/config/registry/instance/org/openoffice/Office/Common.xml"
 ReplaceAndChown ".OpenOffice/user/basic/dialog.xlc"
 ReplaceAndChown ".OpenOffice/user/basic/script.xlc"
 ReplaceAndChown ".OpenOffice/user/psprint/pspfontcache"
#note to phil - surely there's no need for a local copy of the >.5Mb dictionary?
#also we can probably get rid of the local psprint fontcache, or if not, then store it
in /tmp for speed
fi
----------------

Then we have
/opt/ltsp/profiles/functions
which looks like this:

----------------
source /opt/ltsp/profiles/profile.conf

MasterUser()
{
 local Found=0
  for U in $MASTERUSERS; do
  if [ "$USER" == "$U" ]; then
   Found=1
   break
  fi
 done
 return $Found
}

ReplaceAndChown()
{
 sed "s:$SOURCE:$DEST:g" "$SOURCE/$1" >"$DEST/$1"
 chown "$USER" "$DEST/$1"
}
----------------

and finally
/opt/ltsp/profiles/profile.conf

----------------
#MASTERUSERS is the list of users NOT to configure - usually the golden user and admins
MASTERUSERS='root phil golden'

#SOURCE is the 'golden' directory to copy config files from
SOURCE='/home/staff/staff'

#DEST is where to put them
DEST=$HOME

Good luck!