> > Using IPsec is likely to be better than ssh for a lot of reasons, but in some
> > cases ssh might be easier to set up.
>
> CIPE is fairly simple and effective alternative to IPsec; most of the
> code is in userspace with a minimal kernel interface.
>
> http://sites.inka.de/sites/bigred/devel/cipe.html
>
> Please beware that any netbooted system is open to attack unless the
> client key is stored somewhere secure - especially if the client key is
> shoved over the net as part of a boot image or configuration... :)

I don't think it is needed. You may use a password as a key. That is what
I do with ssh. If I am not wrong this password is sent encrypted. Thus
it acts like a key in somewhere secure, in your head.

Of course it is fully open to man in the middle attack. But even though
the key is stored in somewhere secure, there are still possibilities of
man in the middle attacks if the server provides bad binaries/kernel/public
keys.

I think that to avoid man in the middle attack, tftp can't be used and
the kernel/initrd/public key has to be locally stored.

Pat

Pat