On Tue, Oct 08, 2002 at 11:18:50AM -0500, Joey Officer wrote:
> Rdesktop is something you should look into, I am recently working on the
> same project.
>
> http://www.rdesktop.org <http://www.rdesktop.org/>
>
> I think this is what you want…
>

> This will allow you to boot into a linux terminal server, then run rdesktop
> under a shell prompt, this will give you a connection to the RDP protocol
> under Win2k term server

I have always thought this setup should be avoided since it would be a
waste of bandwith.

Suppose all machines are on the same subnet, sharing the same switch.
Then if you choose to run rdesktop remotely (on the LTSP-server) the
traffic would have to go from

MS Win2k terminal server ->(RDP) ltsp server ->(X) thin client,

and if you press a key:

thin client ->(X) ltsp server ->(RDP) MS Win2k terminal server.

Consider instead that you run rdesktop locally (at the thin client),
then the traffic goes directly from

MS Win2k terminal server ->(RDP) thin client

and if you press a key:

thin client ->(RDP) MS Win2k terminal server.

I haven't tried any of this, but I would bet that the second case
gives WAY better perfomance.

Am I wrong here?

--

Hans Ekbrand