I would think about upgrading you clients to 100mbit ethernet cards.
While 10mbit is still pretty quick, that will be your bottleneck.  The
gigabit card on your server should do just fine, without ever becomming
a bottleneck, except in that it'll be waiting to deliver data to your
workstations.  D-Link offers a rather nice 10/100 pci card for about $10
US, and is very well supported.  Maybe not all at once, but I would
definately think about moving to 100mbit

10mbit = 1.25MB/s - megabyte/sec
100mbit = 12.5MB/s - megabyte/sec

I have watched my network monitor under windowmaker, and quite often I
get 900k/s throughputs.  This is using a 100mbit card.  Remember, this
value is a peak, and there for reality says that the average number is
going to be lower.  However on a 10mbit card, the peak is going to be
even lower, AND the average even lower than that.

The network traffic here is going to be where you spend some time and
research into getting the most throughput for your clients.  I setup our
office very similar to what you are referring to.  Server has 1 gigabit
card, and all the workstations are 100mbit, We only run about 15
workstations, but everything moves quite smoothly.  And as time goes on,
the only thing that you'll need to upgrade is the server memory, and
possibly server cpu power.

good luck

joey