Philip,
        I always admire people that go about finding things in a
controlled, engeneering way. Then I go and do it quick and sloppy ;-)
        The quick way to estimate minimum memory need is to run top and
look at actual memory usage. when the buffer size drops below n megabytes,
where n is a value you arrive at by carefully evaluating your data set /
:-) /, it is time to stop removing memory. to put things in perspective,
my data set on the ltsp server for 25 users is about 500MB in 14 days. I'd
hate to go below 200MB of buffers on this server. On another server, where
i run unix and support business activities for 300 users, no graphics, the
data set is 1.2GB. this server can go to 1.4GB buffer cache. the result is
excellent speed - 99.8% of the i/o requests are satisfied from memory.
        a propos removing memory for tests - i would put a bunch of memory
in the server and than run a program that requests memory in large blocks.
that way you don't have to open the box and you can even test on a live
system. julius
p.s. "data set" is the actual data used by programs during the observation
period.