I'm not familiar with the variable, but I assume that it needs to be
exported for the x server, which means that you'll need to do it before
logging in.  Have you tried booting to RL 3, exporting the variable, and
then "/tmp/start_ws"?  If that works, then you just edit
/opt/ltsp/i386/etc/rc.setupx on the server to make it happen every time.

--
Daniel Bodanske
Uncle Dan's, Ltd.