Sounds like either a bad NIC, or unmatched duplex settings.

I would try first to make sure that both the switch/hub and the NIC are set to full (or half) duplex manually.

Or, try a new NIC.

Charles

From: Nathan Lavender <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 05 Nov 2002 14:42:10 -0500

I'm having a problem getting my LTSP testing environment to consistently
boot without errors. The initial boot goes very smooth, however, when I
power the client off and back on to simulate a power outage I start to
get inconsistent results during booting.
After simulated power outage:
Terminal will usually stall trying to find the DHCP server. Looking at
the logs shows that the DHCP service is functioning fine and OFFERing
the correct IP back to the terminal however the terminal sometimes just
sets there indefinitely.
Power off again:
Terminal will get IP right away and stops with the last line stating
"Setting hostname:" Then I get two or three "NFS server not responding
on: 192.168.0.254" Then is says "NFS server OK" and finishes booting.

Once the machine boots and I get logged in it'll behave for short
periods of time. When the machine appears to be locked up the switch is
reporting 600-800 packets/sec from the terminal to the LTSP server. This
burst will last for 20 seconds and then the terminal is back to normal.

It's very frustrating because I can't reproduce the same series of
events while trying to troubleshoot individual problems.
LTSP Server: Dell 2Ghz P4 512Mb RAM Intel 10/100/1000 Intel 10/100 Pro
Terminal: Old i586 Intel 10/100 Pro

Any thoughts???

Thanks
Nathan Lavender