On Mon, Nov 04, 2002 at 11:50:56AM -0500, R P Herrold wrote:
> On 4 Nov 2002, Tom Lisjac wrote:
>
> > I've got a "how-to" almost ready to release on this subject.
> >
> > Unfortunately I'm the only one that's performed the configuration
> > procedure I describe in the document... so I'd be very interested in
> > hearing from anyone who might like to add a second server to an existing
> > LTSP system. This would really help to verify that my build procedure
> > works and is easy to follow.
>
> The change seems to consist of setting a second (and more)
> 'next-server' in the dhcpd.conf (to spread tftp load) for
> ranges of IP's or hosts, and in the gdm chooser, for allowing
> an unskilled user to end up on the less loaded of multiple X
> servers --

The tftp load is not an issue, the point of having two dhcp-servers is
that they will split (see the split and hba options of dhcpd!) the
terminals between them *on every stage* tftp, nfs and most importantly
xdmcp (by default the terminals will run X -query and get a login
prompt at the server they booted from).

To have the "unskilled user" end up on the less loaded of the
application servers (please don't use the term X servers when you mean
application server) is probably not what most ltsp-admin would want
since that would tend to give resource demanding users more resources
than others (unless the demanding user(s) were logged in last), and
that would not be *fair* (YMMV). dhcpd can spread the terminals at any
ratio with the hba option, that seems the way to go IMHO.

If you want more than two servers I think you must solve things at
xdmcp level, since dhcpd can only co-operate in a pair. But the
complexity will increase in other ways too, a) keeping the
applications up to date on three servers will most likely be more work
than on two, keeping /home in sync will be slightly more complicated
also. Nothing that can't be solved, but more complex.

> The dhcpd.conf man page example for next-server is not working
> cleanly for me, and I am debugging this at the moment.

use split instead.

> A simple GDM chooser setup is documented at
>     http://www.owlriver.com/tips/gdm-setup/
> but it needs to be extended to offer just two or three of the
> least loaded ... or simply dump the user onto one of the least
> loaded without intervention
>
> NFS export of /home makes the server choice a matter of
> indifference.

True, but it introduces a single point of failure that can be avoided
if /home is duplicated and keept synced. (Also rember to not export
/home over the same subnet as the terminals are on since that
introduces a security risk)

--
Hans Ekbrand