On Sat, 09 Nov 2002 08:53:21 -0800, John N <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> And with a bit more memory, this would make a good LTSP server
>
> http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?sku=d13
> 6-4016%20p&SRCCODE=WEM374L

    Guys, what's the big swinging pocketwatch that tiger has over people?  Oh!  Maybe
it's the same one that Fingerhut has.

    Fingerhut is a direct-mail catalog that's sent to newlyweds unless they're lucky.
They have really cheap things that look great, in the catalog.  Case in point:

    I've been to the Canon factory warehouse store; this place makes so many kinds of
towels and similar items; it just amazing.  And their reputation was good, too; thick,
absorbant towels for decent prices.  In fact, we STILL have some towels at this house
from our first trip there, **30** years ago.

    So we see the 'Canon Towel Set' listed in Fingerhut.  They extend credit. We buy
them and some other things to set up the house.  What they're calling 'monogramed' the
rest of the world calls 'stencil-painted letters', and the towels themselves are so
thin you can almost read the paper through'em.  They only lasted about a year; the
second year we changed the oil with'em.

    Tiger's a lot like that; the graphics are beautiful. It's so incredibly attractive
with brand name offerings....until you get'em home.  You find these things have
incompatible chipsets, cpu fans that don't last, and in general, problem motherboards.

    My (not too bright) friend in Chicago has bought from them for years, and he keeps
getting broken equipment.  And HE's running Windows.

    If you're gonna set something up that's new, and people are gonna 'turn up their
nose at it' because it's different, yet they're required to cope because the boss says
so, doesn't it make sense to buy better equipment so they can't complain about
downtime?

    It's hard enough for them to learn the new paradigm, without having to cuss at the
hardware, too.  And subtle problems disguise themselves as "LTSP problems", don/tcha
know...

ICQ  5119262