On Sat, Nov 09, 2002 at 05:56:50PM +0100, Kim Leandersson wrote:
> > From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:jam@;McQuil.com]
> > On Sat, 9 Nov 2002, Kim Leandersson wrote:
> > > Thanks for the advices so far. I have now edited the
> > lts.conf and the
> > > XF86Config and I think I'm on the road again. I don't get an error
> > > message anymore, I get a grey screen with an hourglass.
> > This screen is
> > > shown for about ten seconds, then it's a black screen for
> > 10 seconds,
> > > then back to grey with hourglass and so on. Don't really
> > now what the
> > > problem is. It seems to be the ugly grey screen that you get if GDM
> > > isn't started (it is) but here I get an hourglass instead
> > of a cursor.
> > > Anyone who can guide me?
> > >

> > Try setting RUNLEVEL = 3 in the lts.conf file.
> > Then, boot the client and type:   sh /tmp/start_ws
> >
> > Then, when it dies after 10 seconds, it should leave the
> > error message on the screen, so you can see what is wrong.
> >
> > Jim McQuillan

> Tried that now. After I run start_ws I get the grey screen and the
> hourglass and nothing more happens. I don't get the black screen
> anymore. More tips? Should I give up with the integrated chip? The
> problem is that this old machine doesn't have any PCI slots (only ISA)
> so I guess it isn't easy to first find a ISA graphics card and then get
> this to work...
>
> //kim

Re-arranged to increase clarity [please add your comments BELOW the
text you are refering to].

Kill the Xserver by ctrl-alt-backspace.

Inspect the messages at the console. If there is no obvious error
messages there read the logfile of X. It is located somehere in /tmp/

--
Hans Ekbrand (http://sociologi.cjb.net) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
GnuPG key: 1024D/7050614E