On Fri, Nov 15, 2002 at 01:01:29AM -0800, Tim F. wrote:
> At 11:35 PM 11/14/2002 -0500, you wrote:

[...]

> >In my experience, X going to a black screen means
> >that the driver is fine and the video card is
> >fine and there is nothing wrong with the font
> >server.  The problem is likely just a matter of
> >finding the right modeline for your video card
> >and monitor combination.  Most likely is that the
> >video card is exceeding one of the ranges on the
> >monitor.  The monitor recognizes this and just
> >doesn't display anything.
> >
> >To debug, use runlevel 3 and start X manually:
> ># /tmp/start_ws > /tmp/x.log &

> Not sure if you were thinking of my recent post about a X problems - but
> just in case...  The first time the clients are booted everything is
> perfect, X starts cleanly and stays stable - until I reboot the
> clients.  During the second and   subsequent attempts to boot, the client
> appears to connect to the server just fine but when it should start X, all
> the screen does is go blank with occasional flashes.

In addition to Jasons notes, I think that "occasional flashes" sounds
like X is restarting and not succeeds. Are the terminals configured to
rely on xfs?

I have seen "black screen of death" on terminals trying with the wrong
X server. They where completely unoperational (did not even answer
pings). But that is most unlikely in your case since they can start X
cleanly on the first try.

--
Hans Ekbrand (http://sociologi.cjb.net) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
GnuPG key: 1024D/7050614E