Many thanks for all the *great* help...I finally got LTSP working on RH 8
by using KDM instead of GDM. Below are all (I believe) the settings needed
on a vanilla RH 8 server in addition to those in the LTSP installation
notes:

1) Remove gdm package from the X Windows group in Red Hat Package utility.
KDM becomes the default (at least on my machine it did) and you can still
run the Gnome desktop, in fact it seems faster under KDM than GDM!

2) /etc/X11/xdm/Xaccess: uncomment “any host can get a login window” line
to enable that feature.

3) /etc/X11/xdm/xdm-config: commented out DisplayManager.requestPort: 0
line to “manage X terminals with xdm” as documented in that file.

4) /etc/X11/xdm/kdmrc: change [xdmcp] Enable to “true” and uncomment
Port=177 line.

5) Create read-only NFS share for /opt/ltsp/i386 for IPs of terminals that
will be connecting (duh).

Hope this helps others, I have more detailed notes if anyone wants them.

Go LTSP!

Lee