On 29 Nov 2002, Xtian Xultz wrote:

> Hello dudes!
>
> I have in my network 5 terminals runnig very well with LTSP, as X
> terminals.
>
> Now I want to have a remote X and a local bash, with the /home mounted
> via NFS autenticated via NIS.
> I have almost runnig, except the text login.
> I intalled the local apps package, configured NIS on my server, exported
> the /home via nfs, and on lts.conf I put the NIS server, and changed the
> inittab as the following:
>
> 1:3:respawn:/bin/startsess tty1 /bin/bash --login
> 2:3:respawn:/bin/startsess tty2 /bin/bash --login
>
> to:
>
> 1:345:respawn:/bin/startsess tty1 /bin/bash --login
> 2:345:respawn:/bin/startsess tty2 /bin/bash --login
>

> Well, it gives a bash, running as root, mount the /home ok.
> But it does not have a login screen, it goes directly to bash, and I
> cant do a su - user too.

Xtian,

You are missing alot of things needed to give you a text login
prompt on the workstation.

Running bash in runlevel 3 is strictly for diagnosis usage.
You changed it to also run in runlevel 4 and 5, but still it
is only for diagnostic usage.

You have root permissions at that point, which means you also
have root permissions on the NFS mounted filesystem.

If you want to get a login prompt, you need things like the
'login' program.  most likely, you need some libraries too,
and probably some PAM stuff.

If you really want to go through the journey, then you should
just do exactly what a normal linux system would do.  Take a
look at the /etc/inittab file on your linux server, you'll
see that /sbin/mingetty is spawned for the ttys, so you need
mingetty.

That should be a good starting point.

Also, to help you figure this stuff out, you'll want strace and ldd,
to help you figure out why things aren't working.

Hope that helps,

Jim McQuillan
[EMAIL PROTECTED]