On Mon, Dec 09, 2002 at 04:34:30PM -0600, Bimal wrote:
> I have installed ltsp rpms and able to boot Thin Client. Everything work fine. I am
>able to use Interner as well. But when I login from GUI  (LEVEL 5) I got my server
>all files ( same as server file sytem / , /boot, /usr .....) But If boot thin Client
>using RUN LEVEL 3 I just got thin Client filesystem which I want.

> I just want to thin Client user to use Internet and Console  which I have it. But I
>don't want them to see my Server side ( file system and other)
>
> Do you know why? Please write me

That's the normal and sane way. In order to execute applications on
the server, the users need read access to a lot of files on the
server. If you, or the users, have files in /home with confidential
information, change the attributes on those (or the directories they
live in). If you are really paranoid, don't keep those files on the
server or encrypt them with gpg or something. If your users are
paranoid, they probably should not keep those files on your server, in
the long run they cannot protect themselves from root (who can install
programs that record keystrokes and what not)

But messing with attributes on system files in large scale is not
recommended, unless you really know what you are doing, and don't seem
to do so.

On my system, Debian 3.0, and I would guess on all distros, files with
sensitive information (some files in /etc some logfiles in /var/log
and a few others) are by default only readable by root, so I don't
really see the need. If you do, please describe your need a little
more in detail.

--
Hans Ekbrand (http://sociologi.cjb.net) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
GnuPG key: 1024D/7050614E (currently active subkey 03CE8884)