[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Is it possible to create a boot disk, that would work with most systems? I
find it very hard to believe that each workstation needs a specially created
disk, seeing as Toms Magically and Bloody useful boot disk, seems to be able
to initialise nearly every machine and NIC that I've thrown at it over the
last year.

In Etherboot development release 5.1.3, which is relocatable
(complicated to explain technically, but it means there is no
restriction on fitting in 48kB of memory), you can compile a disk image
which includes all Etherboot drivers. However not all drivers have been
fixed to be relocatable, but you can help us debug. :-)

I have managed to get a small flash IDE drive programmed with a couple of kernel images and grub so that I can LTSP boot systems that cannot ether boot.
The acutal appllication we have is for wireless terminals but I also have a version that just boots the kernel and starts DHCP. Along with this I have stuck the Toms image in there also.

All that has to be done is to stick the flash into the IDE cable header and set up the BIOS. Faster than floppy and no moving parts.

--
Alvin Starr || voice: (416)785-4051
Interlink Connectivity || fax: (416)785-3668