On Thu, 19 Dec 2002, pedro noticioso wrote:

> I last read that redhat is LSB compliant and mandrake
> is not LSB compliant, this is to me evidence that LSB
> has nothing to do with ltsp.
>
> Its been quite amazing to see how many distros are
> supported, but not enough in light of the ammount of
> other distros that may work with a few tweaks.
>
> I think a script with routines to detect if dhcpd and
> other services are installed and configured or not,
> are more important than routines to detect a certain
> distro and hope all of its services are installed.
>
> ie a script to detect if the computer is using inetd
> or xinetd, and react accordingly, and so on 8)

Pedro,

That's an excellent point.  LTSP has so far, been 'distro-centric'.
That is, the scripts are written for specific distros, and in
some cases, specific versions of the distros.

With LTSP-4.0, we are flipping that around to be 'service-centric',
that is, it shouldn't matter which distro/version is being used.

It comes down to basically, there are only a couple of ways that
tftp is started, so we just need a tftp script that is smart
enough to deal with the different methods.
And, same for dhcpd and nfs.

The display managers are a different problem though, because
the methods for starting those varies quite a bit, and it seems
to change from distro to distro, and version to version. But, as
time goes on, we'll begin to support enough of them to make
most people happy.

So, that's roughly where we are headed. Now, we've just got
to get there.

Jim McQuillan
[EMAIL PROTECTED]