I would love to see it, but
Will the chip, and MoBo manufacturers ever STOP the performance race, and bring the prices of current, or older units way DOWN.
Without a source of CHEAP, medium performance boards, the whole point of server apps goes down the tubes. It's all very well for schools, and/or enthusiasts using retired equipment, but it's difficult to sell 2nd hand systems to business. While there are the jamin/thinknic's etc, they will never hit the mainstream until prices come way down....along with low cost monitors. My local wholesalers have ceased to stock 15" CRT's, cause they cost almost as much as 17"ers. The only problem is that many people don't have, or don't want to give up that much desk space. Maybe if 15" TFT's get sub $150, it will help.
I am promoting Linux as a gateway, and for shared CD images (the Win's version costs money), and hope to find a Virus scanner which will run thereon, that catches both Linux, AND Wins viruses for all (web) users. Most (of my) customers won't even consider Linux on the workstation until an Office package comes along where at least the Wordprocessor work and feels exactly like MS Word/Office.
Is that menu layout, and functionality proprietary to MS ?.

Shane
p.s. Bad luck about the NY affair.

Michael Marschall wrote:

If someone were to provide a turnkey server with a neat little web
interface for LTSP and a list of compatible "terminal" equipment along
with tech support do the folks on THIS LIST think people would by it ?

Curious...
Mike

Given that there is going to be a pretty significant push for Linux on the
desktop in the next few years I think people would. There are some big
named companies (IBM, Sun, Dell, Wallmart), not to mention the small ones
(Red Hat, Lycoris, Lindows), that are putting some weight behind Linux on
the Desktop. This coupled with the long overdue trend of putting computing
back on servers, where it is much more manageable and efficient, and you
can bet that this would be a very popular option. Oh and the economic
slowdown along with steep cutbacks in IT spending does not hurt either.
Just think, with LTSP a company get the savings of centralization and the
saving on licensing. Who in their right mind would say no to this?

Going forward the only thing that LTSP is missing is nice-to-haves such as
management software, session capabilities and a more efficient display
protocol (something mature that is). The mangement part is arguable and
would most be neccessary for those who are more comfortable with point and
click. Most UNIX admins just need ssh and an editor to have good
management.

I think when Linux makes significant inroads on the desktop, LTSP could be
a much bigger player than say Windows Terminal Server/Citrix is today.
Microsoft makes sure that thin client Windows computing is kept at bay
(and why shouldn't they, it directly competes with the need for Windows on
every desktop). LTSP will not suffer such a problem since there is no
incentive for someone like Red Hat(or others in the Linux community) to
stem thin client computing.

My company demo'ed LTSP at a trade show here in South Florida and people
were amazed at 1) the concept of thin client computing (people still have
no knowledge of it) and 2) that Linux was so complete. Our demo had us
opening Word Documents with Star Office, we edited web graphics with The
GIMP and we even drew up some network documents with Visio (via Wine).
Even some of my former Citrix collegues were amazed (especially at the
quility of sound over the network).

In my opinion the biggest thing that is in the way of LTSP's future is not
that it is Linux; it's that thin client computing is still on the outside
looking in. Microsoft has effectively marketed their way around thin
client computing. Linux gaining significant market share in every aspect
of computing is an inevitability. I believe Linux Terminal Server is a
natural step forward.

Michael Marschall
President

Pipeline Networks
2385 Executive Center Drive Suite 100
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
Phone 561.962.2774
Cell 305.502.8959

If someone were to provide a turnkey server with a neat little web
interface for LTSP and a list of compatible "terminal" equipment along
with tech support do the folks on THIS LIST think people would by it ?

Curious...
Mike

For additional LTSP help, try #ltsp channel on irc.openprojects.net

For additional LTSP help, try #ltsp channel on irc.openprojects.net