Greetings,

We recently purchased a new Dell PowerEdge low-end server to use with our
LTS Project.  Thinking that I would set up everything with the "latest and
greatest" distro's, I installed Red Hat 8.0 and the following ltsp packages:

ltsp_core-3.0.7-0.i386.rpm
ltsp_kernel-3.0.5-0.i386.rpm
ltsp_x_core-3.0.4-0.i386.rpm
ltsp_x_fonts-3.0.0-0.i386.rpm

The workstations are all old (purchased by the pound) Dell P133 with 16MB of
RAM.  The video card is an S3_Trio64 which seems to work with the older S3
drivers (ltsp_x336_s3-3.0.0-0.i386.rpm).

Everything seems to work; the lts.conf file assigns the values for the video
card, and the workstation boots, X starts and a login prompt appears, but
the keyboard and mouse are non-functional at that point.  I've tried
changing the runlevel to 3 and the keyboard and mouse work fine-just not
under X.  I've got plain old PS/2 style keyboards and mice on these units
and I'm using the standard (/dev/psaux) for the mouse in the lts.conf file.

If I tail -f the /var/log/messages file during the boot, I will sometimes
see something like this:

gdm[865] (child 1059) gdm_slave_xioerror_handler: Fatal X error - Restarting
ws004

...Although this does not always appear.  Whether the above message appears
or not, I can see the cursor flashing in the login box, indicating that X
hasn't totally locked up.  I can also ping the workstation's IP address
without fail.  The above is a test configuration and not in the live
environment, but I would like to roll this unit live soon.

Has anyone run into a similar issue?  I've done the normal internet scour
and come up empty-handed.

Thanks in advance!

Steven G. Spencer, Network Manager
Kelly Supply Co. / KDS Internet