Florian Thiel wrote:
Hi!

Can anyone issue any suggestions or report experiences encrypting the
network traffic in an LTSP environment? Since keypresses and everything
(e.g. every password you enter on a LTSP  workstation, be it ssh or not)
travel the LAN in plaintext (X events), encryption is crucial for
large-scale adoptions.

(To demonstrate the effects, I once created too small perl scripts, one
that sniffed X magic cookies and one that iterated over the list of
known cookies and used them to switch display background colors. After a
few minutes I had a whole room of machines happily blinking... Very
impressive).

IPSec would come into mind but is very expensive (CPU cycles) and would
need a powerful centralized IPSec Gateway...
It is not expensive at all.

I am running Freeswan on an old Dell Optiplex Pentium 166 MHz PC, that acts as firewall/router (iptables) and VPN-gateway.

Currently, I have only 4 tunnels set up, but from reading the freeswan mailing lists I am convinced that I could configure many more before I would run into performance problems.

The question is to get IPSEC into the LTSP-kernel; it don't think that would be very difficult, really.

But what about the kernel-loading itself? tftp is anything but secure of course, so maybe you should also implement IPSEC into a boot kernel, and boot from a floppy or a flash to load the running kernel?

--
Z.