On Thu, Feb 27, 2003 at 09:49:45AM +1100, John Simovic wrote:
> Is anybody getting their RH8 ltsp servers to lockup at random intervals for no
> apparent reason. /var/log/messages shows up nothing. Having had Mandrake and Suse
> running on it no problems. (we prefer RH because we will be delivering the RH
> Academy course to students)> Thanks in advance

There are known problems with lockups due to network hardware on Dell
servers with broadcom network chips. The solution is to upgrade to the
latest RH errata kernels, or if you want to stay with the old kernel,
change in your /etc/modules.conf:

alias eth0 tg3

alias eth0 bcm5700

Note however that the latest errata kernel does not have a bcm5700
driver. Also, there are still a few reports of lockups with the latest
errata kernel but the bugs are known and a new unofficial kernel is
available from:

http://people.redhat.com/jgarzik/tg3/

This information came from the linux-poweredge mailing list.

--
Norman Gaywood -- School of Mathematical and Computer Sciences
University of New England, Armidale, NSW 2351, Australia