On Wed, 5 Mar 2003, George Gambill wrote:

> Jim,
>
> Looking at the white paper found at
> http://www.ltsp.org/contrib/parallel_dhcp.txt I understand (or at least I
> think I do) most everything except part 3.2.3.
>
>     3.2.3 Modify the initrd (initial root FS for the client)
>     Edit the dhclient call in <ltsp_initrd_kit>/root/linuxrc.
>        /bin/dhclient -p 1002 eth0 >/tmp/dhclient.out 2>&1
>
> Specifically, my confusion has to do with the "2>&1" part.  Generally, what
> is this line doing?  Specifically, what is the "2>&1" doing?

That is standard Unix style shell redirection.

Any time you start a program on Unix/Linux, there are 3 file descriptors
that are opened by default.  They are:

   0 - standard input
   1 - standard output
   2 - standard error

The ">/tmp/dhclient.out" will send all standard output (stdout) of the
dhclient program to the /tmp/dhclient.out file.

The "2>&1" tells it to send the error messages (stderr) to the same
place as the standard output.

check the bash manpage for more info.

Hope that helps,

Jim McQuillan