Hello,

I've just gotten my first ltsp client system working using ltsp
version 3.0, and within 1.5 hours got it set up pretty much exactly as
I needed it -- thanks to the developers for this snappy project.

There was one small, easily fixable difficulty getting things working,
and I'm wondering what I did wrong: for various reasons, I built a
small, non-modular kernel for the first client system.  The kernel
included all the support I supposed it would need (devfs, ramdisk,
ext2, networking, nfsroot, etc.), but while booting, when the rc.local
script tried writing to /tmp, any attempt to open a file on /tmp
returned a permission denied error.  To debug things, I inserted an
invocation of /bin/sh into the rc.local script just after /dev/ram1 is
mounted on /tmp.  Poking around at this stage, I noticed that /tmp was
showing up as mounted with type "binfmt_misc", and although it was
nominally mounted read-write, it seemed impossible to create files
there.  So I changed the mount command in rc.local to specify the ext2
file system format on /dev/ram1, and after that, everything worked as
desired.

So my question is this: what magic does the ltsp kernel do that my
kernel doesn't so that mounting /dev/ram1 automatically picks up the
file system format, without specifying it in the mount command?

(Apologies if this question has been asked before; I can't figure out
whether/how one can search the sourceforge mailing list archives.)

Thanks,
Richard