Ajith,

Here's what i did to have a telnet to thin client.
I didnt modify the xinetd part of telnet. whatever is put in there by ltsp kit, it is as it is. I put in a extra line in /opt/ltsp/i386/etc/rc.local as --
/usr/sbin/xinetd

This line starts the telnet daemon on the thin client. Telent service is there by default enabled in my xinetd directory
Next i copied the encrypted password from my systems /etc/shadow file and put it in the /opt/ltsp/i386/etc/password file
so that the root user line in my password file looks like this --

root:$1$l4C6cUyE$q8uz9pDAZL7fgat7O1DE20:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash

Also the shell at the end of line was /bin/true or something which i have changed it to /bin/bash

with these things done i can now telnet to any of the thin clients with username as root. All is do is telnet <IP of thin client> , login =root, password =my password

Hope this helps and gives you some hints as to how to go forward with your customised things

Ajith Kumar wrote:

Hello,
       I am trying to boot some embedded controllers as  LTS clients .
They work without local
display or keyboard.  I need to  login to them from a remote machine.

I tried to copy the "xinetd"  and  "in.telnetd"  related files to
"/opt/ltsp/i386", the NFS mounted
root of the client.

Conencted a local display,  logged into the client  running  a shell
and started  xinetd.

I get the error message "unknown user root"

The only service configured inside /etc/xinetd.d is telnet, as shown
below.
If I comment the line user=root , i get an error message that the user
option is missing.

service telnet
{
       disable = no
       flags           = REUSE
       socket_type     = stream
       wait            = no
       user            = root
       server          = /usr/sbin/in.telnetd
       log_on_failure  += USERID
}

Thanks for any help.

regards

Ajith

For additional LTSP help, try #ltsp channel on irc.freenode.net

-- Regards, Mandar Deodhar Manager Technology

Netcore Solutions Pvt Ltd