Jeff and Karl,

It sounds to me like Karl wants to provide X-applications to multiple windows users simultaneously, not administrate the server (see below). If VNC can support multiple users simultaneously, what is the point of Citrix and Terminal Services (rhetorical question, I realize he needs to access a linux box)? Wouldn't people just use the free VNC?

The beauty of LTSP and X-Window (no s!) is that it does the same thing (functionally) as Citrix / m$ Terminal Services, without the huge software and hardware costs, and in a smaller footprint. LTSP probably does it BETTER because applications often have to be modified to run Citrix / WTS and the servers OFTEN need to be rebooted late at night because of bugginess. Very low uptimes, from what I've read.

As an aside, running LTSP applications on a Mac is even easier as XDarwin/OroborOSX and Apple have made ROOTLESS X Window a part of OSX/Aqua.

That said, I believe VNC has a good place administrating servers and supporting remote users. Also, I have read that VNC is a bit buggy. I believe there is a CONTRIB on why there is a place for VNC and LTSP.

Cheers-

John Q