I spent some time looking at the <http://www.nomachine.com> website and was
impressed.

We are using both Citrix and LTSP.

Citrix is a commercial product that is expensive but works very well for
accessing remote desktops or applications on the LAN or over a dialup
connection. I regularly access a Citrix desktop from home over a 8kb/s
connection and it is almost like being in the office in terms of update speed.

I have also used pcAnywhere and still use VNC to do occasional administration
on a remote system, but both are tediously slow when trying to get real work
done, and certainly not a desktop replacement.

In the office we now use LTSP for about half our workstations, and it works
great as a daily work environment.

The missing link to working from home or for salesmen with laptops to access
a Linux/LTSP desktop is the bandwidth requirement of X. VNC is too slow to
get real work done. Citrix had some rumblings a year or two ago about
providing a commercial product in this space, but nothing happened. Sun has
its Rays, but that is not LTSP.

It looks to me like the NX Project announcement is exactly the product to
fill the remote connection void. The GPL part is great. However, even the
commercial service which should pay these guys for the work they have done
could be worthwhile if that solves an important business need for your
company or organization. Their products appear significantly less costly than
Citrix/MS licenses.

Combine NX with projects like KDE 3.1 remote desktop and you should have a
feature similar to Citrix shadow sessions.

Congratulations from my part.

--
Peter Bakker
IT Manager