Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2003 11:20:06 +0200 (MEST)
From: Erik Alapää <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Local apps on EPIA thin client

Hello.

I am using a VIA EPIA box as a thin client with LTSP/Etherboot. Using
cbrom, I have managed to convert the client from PXE to Etherboot, and
I have booted a simple setup with LTSP using my ordinary RedHat 7.3
workstation as LTSP/NFS server. For NIS, NFS/home, DHCP server and
tftp server (kernel download) we use the company's normal server, an
X86 box running FreeBSD.

Now I would like to enable sound and get as many apps as possible
running in local RAM (256MB on the thin client). Has anyone on the
list tried a similar setup? (using my workstation as LTSP server is
mostly for experimentation, I might later set up a PIII server in the
server room to run RedHat with LTSP later), or perhaps use the
"official" FreeBSD server for everything.

The LTSP manual says about local apps and previous versions of LTSP:

"Directories such as /bin, /usr/bin , /lib and /usr were exposed to
the workstation.

The problem with that scheme is that it only works if the workstation
and the server are the same architecture. In fact, even differences,
like the server being a Pentium II (i686) and the workstation being a
classic Pentium (i586) can be a problem, because the server will
likely have the i686 libraries and not the i386, i486 or i586
libraries.

So, the cleanest way to handle this is to have a complete tree with
all of the binaries and libraries that the workstation will need,
independent of the server binaries and libraries."

I have installed the LTSP local apps RPM. How should I proceed, should
I install RedHat on the EPIA using a hard drive, and then copy useful
parts of that installation to the /opt/ltsp/i386 on my LTSP server, or
is there a more clever way?  Perhaps someone using the VIA EPIA thin
clients can even donate a tarball of their /opt/ltsp/i386 directory?

One more question: The CPU is a VIA C3 800 MHz - has anyone tried
running this one fanless, perhaps with a bigger heatsink? It would be
REALLY nice with a totally fanless client :)

Best regards,

/Erik Alapää

--
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
tel:   see my webpage (web-address below)