Thanx, to everyone (especially Jim) for the help you've given me.

I have 2 machines. One is an AMD +1900 DeskNote running RedHat8; the other is a IBM 760ED (P75/32RAM/3Com Etherlink III/Total: $26) running a really cruddy install of PeanutLinux.    Both systems are running under a LinkSys Router/Switch/DHCP server.  These are the constants. As I am over seas I can not change equipment. And there is a pre-existing network dependent on the LinkSys.

2 problems at present Jim suggested the wireless package, which I dd'd onto a floppy and it automatically detected my PCMCIA NIC.

1) getting dhcpd running on my DeskNote.
a) services says it's running. ps says it ain't.
b) fails to load at all when I put a dhcp.conf file based on the dhcp.conf.example that comes with ltsp.

2) the boot disk detects the NIC then says:
eth0: flipped to 10BaseT
eth0: flipped to 10BaseT
192.115.106.35: No such file or directory

ERROR! No root-path.  Check your ....

Kernel panic: Attempted to kill init!

a) this could be solved by just getting the dhcpd server to work.
b) where on earth is it getting that crazy ip address from, it's the same every time!