What might cause a fatal X server error that says "cannot
open /var/log/XFree86.0.log"?

I´m getting this error when starting up an X Terminal. I´ve installed
LTSP - this is my second LTSP installation but it is the first time that
I´ve encountered this particular error.

BTW the X Terminal boots fine in init level 3, it´s only X that is
failing. Everything seems to be configured according to the instructions
but obviously something isn´t.

I´ve searched for several days for a possible solution without luck.
Thanks for any and all ideas.