Julius Szelagiewicz wrote:

> On Sat, 21 Jun 2003, Lutz Worch wrote:
> > > On an other console of your local-pc start the vncviewer with
> >             ^ ^ ^ ^
> > Should be xterm.
> >
> > IMHO its a faster possibilty then do it by "ssh -X -C -l "username"
> > "remoteltsaddress"
>
> That would depend on what you are trying to accomplish. if you are coming
> over dialup and need command line access, vnc is a total waste of time. as
> a matter of fact it is somewhat counter productive over T1 lines if all
> you need is an xterm running. julius

Of course if you want a xterm only. But Michael wants to run a
> .. I want to install a new application on the server and
> make it available to the clients. The install program for the new app is
> a gui installer.

I measured the time from login, start Opera until Opera is completely on
the screen via ISDN-line:

---- VNC: ----------------------
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~ > ssh -C -L 5901:rs-kropp:5901 rs-kropp
Enter passphrase for key '/home/lworch/.ssh/id_rsa':
Last login: Sat Jun 21 11:23:28 2003 from local-pc
Have a lot of fun...
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~> date
Sam Jun 21 17:54:32 CEST 2003
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~> vncserver

New 'X' desktop is rs-kropp:1

Starting applications specified in /home/lworch/.vnc/xstartup
Log file is /home/lworch/.vnc/rs-kropp:1.log

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~> date
Sam Jun 21 17:55:21 CEST 2003
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~> exit

--- result: ~49 sec. ----------------

---- X-Forwarding: ------------------
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~ > ssh -C -X rs-kropp
Enter passphrase for key '/home/lworch/.ssh/id_rsa':
Last login: Sat Jun 21 17:54:31 2003 from local-pc
Have a lot of fun...
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~> date
Sam Jun 21 17:57:35 CEST 2003
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~> opera&
[1] 4993
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~> date
Sam Jun 21 17:58:19 CEST 2003
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~> exit

OK! You are right if you start only _one_ X-application.

Kind regards
Lutz
--
Charmantes Nächtle noch .....