On Sun, 20 Jul 2003, Kevin de Wet wrote:

> Hi everyone, I am currently administering a LTSP student computer lab
> of 10 PC's, and 1 server with Red Hat 8.  Its running pretty well -
> just a few issues to deal with if anyone can help:
>
> 1.  I would like to simplify for example the Red Hat menu by removing
> all options that shouldnt be played around with by students ... for
> example Server Settings, Sound and Video, System Settings etc.
> Ideally I'd like a simplified menu with only the basic programs, like
> Openoffice, Ximian Evolution, Mozilla etc.  How could this be done for
> individual users and then larger groups of users?
>
> 2.  On two separate machines that I have tried to set up as terminals
> (using PCI RTL8139 cards with the correct boot image on disk), they
> have failed to load up LTSP with the error, "Could not automatically
> detect network card.  PCI cards should be detected automatically.  ISA
> cards cannot be detected ..."  "Kernel panic: Attempted to kill init".
> Any suggestions on how to get this working?  Is it possibly an old
> hardware problem (motherboards are pentium 1 boards).

PCI cards should be automatically detected.  Unless, they are using
a non-standard PCI Vendor or Device ID.

Can you pop the card into a machine that runs a full load of Linux ?

Then, run:

    lspci -n

Look for the devices that are 'Class 0200'.  that would be the
ethernet cards.

Once you get that far, send me the output.

You could try forcing the driver by setting option-129 in
the dhcpd.conf file.

Try adding this:

      option  option-128   e4:45:74:68:00:00;
      option  option-129   "NIC=8139too";

That should force the 8139too.o module to be loaded, rather than
the auto-detection.

Hope that helps,

Jim McQuillan
[EMAIL PROTECTED]