On Tue, 2 Sep 2003, Brad Goldbeck wrote:

> I still can't get the sound to work with my Diskless
> Workstations Jammin 150. I installed the sound package
> and get no errors while tailing the workstation boot
> up at the server. The messages at the workstation fly
> by so fast I can not read them; however, I can make
> out "loading sound modules" and "running sound
> server". I am not able to run auinfo at the server or
> the terminal. The only sound I get out of the speakers
> is the system beep when I am at the command prompt.
> When I try to play WAV files from the sound setting
> area, I get nothing. Any suggestions??

Are you logging in as root ?  It won't work as root.

once you log in, bring up an xterm, and check the following
environment variables:

  AUDIOSERVER
  LD_PRELOAD

See if those are set to something, if they are, tell us what
they are set to.

What distro are you running ?

What GUI ?  (Gnome,KDE,Icewm...)

Jim McQuillan