On Tue, 05 Aug 2003, Andy Rabagliati wrote:

> On Wed, 30 Jul 2003, Sudev Barar wrote:
>
> > Last week we added another switch from D-Link with 24 ports to
> > accommodate growing network. Some of the machines were shifted to this
> > new switch. All of sudden the three machines using ISA cards could not
> > boot off the server and would get struck doing pivot_root.
>
> I have seen failures at this point in the process also, the pivot-root,
> on known-good clients.
>
> I have not resolved them - however, the site is far away, and I will
> only get back there in a few weeks.
>
> My problem is on a single switch - a CNET 24 port.
>
> Taking the switch apart I see there are 3 big chips - that presumably
> handle 8 ports apiece.
>
> The failures consistently occur when the client machines are plugged
> into the same 8 port block as the DHCP server and Thin Client server,
> which in my case are different machines.
>
> My current thoughts are around cabling.

Problem solved !!

For the record ...

Summary of problem symptoms :-

* Thin client stops booting at the pivot-root step.

Very gnarly one, affecting /only/ 8 ports on the switch, /only/ for
the boot step. I could boot via another port, and plug it back to the
problem port, and all would be fine.

My server had a 3C905 card, that used the 3c59x driver.
(what is it with 3com and 5s and 9s ??)

The switch has two orange/green LEDs per port.

The first LED was green, the second was orange - I think meaning
100Mbit, half-duplex.

All the clients were Green/off - presumably 100Mbit, full-duplex.

I found the option for setting full duplex on the 3c59x driver.

In /etc/modules.conf, I have :-

#### snip snip ###
alias eth0 3c59x
options eth0 options=512
#### snip snip ###

This sets (unsets ??) the full-duplex flag on the card. All is well.

Cheers,       Andy!